Home > School Information > About Us > School History
Originally known as CHIJ Ponggol, the school was renamed as CHIJ Our Lady of the Nativity, in 2001. It is one of the eleven CHIJ schools in Singapore and is located in Upper Serangoon Road, next to the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
1852 opens the chapter of Holy Infant Jesus Convents with the establishment of Penang Convent by Rev. Mother Mathilde. In February 1854, she managed to open yet another convent in Singapore at Victoria Street. The first branch in Singapore, however, was not started till 1930. After this date, branches mushroomed all over Singapore covering Katong, Ponggol, Ang Mo Kio, Kampong Bahru, Bukit Timah, Hillside Drive, Kellock and Serangoon Gardens. To date, we have a total of 11 primary and secondary CHIJ schools.
In mid-1950s, Rev. Mother St John, who was the Rev Mother Superior at the time, realized the pressing need for a girls’ school for Ponggol. She approached the archbishop of Singapore who readily agreed to the proposal, gave his blessing and provided the land for the project. This led to the inception of CHIJ Ponggol in 1957.
Before the run of the millennium, plans to renovate the school started small and culminated in approval for a $17 million project located at the former Montfort School site at Upper Serangoon Road. In 1999, the late Archbishop, His Grace, Most Rev. Gregory Yong officiated at the ground-breaking Ceremony. In January 2001, the school was renamed CHIJ Our Lady of the Nativity. The new school premises was officially opened on 28 May 2004 and celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2007.